June 15, 2017

You Move Me

Did you miss the New Catalog Kickoff on Saturday? I did a demo featuring the impressive new bundle called You Move Me. 
It really has to be played with to be appreciated! Through an optical illusion, the butterfly flaps its wings when you move the stamped image behind the slits! For clarification, I'm referring to this die as a "grate". 


For this one I used black cardstock, creating a pocket with our foam adhesive strips. Into the pocket slide a piece a whisper white that's been stamped with the special two-step stamp included in the set, and attach a pull-tab ribbon at the top. This stamp set includes many different sentiments that are useful for many occasions.

For my next sample, instead of making a pocket I used the Mini Treat Bag thinlits as an envelope. It's like these two products were created for each other! When you pull the card out of the bag, you get that awesome effect of the flapping wings. LOVE it!


I simply die cut the grate before assembling the bag, and framed it with a scalloped square - NOTE: I modified the die because the grate die is not square. Then I built the bag and simply added a whipser white note card with gold ribbon attached. The sentiment is attached on a simple banner on top of wrapped-around gold thread, and embellished with a tiny butterfly that's included in the set.

I was excited to use the delicate butterfly dies, even without the movement effect this set offers. Sure enough, it was gorgeous!

The butterflies have two separate dies - the outline and the inner delicate cuts. You can use them together or separately!

Here's another card I created using these beautiful butterflies and some lovely flowers, without the movement feature. A fitting sentiment really pulled it together.

But of course... if you CAN use the movement feature, WHY wouldn't you?? lol So this is what I did inside the card, so that when you open it, the wings flutter.
This was my first experiment with this type of sliding inside card, and I did it a little bit crooked so it doesn't slide well. In addition to that, my preschoolers got ahold of it and smashed it a little. However, now I understand the concept and will be using it again in the future because it was just to coolest!

Of course, I couldn't neglect the sweet hummingbird from this set! This card brings back lovely memories of honeysuckle in the back yard. Really, you MUST see this in action to appreciate it fully!


The Bermuda Bay was great with a mix of yellows, which coordinated so well with the new chevron ribbon, simply stapled to the top.

Here's another option with the hummingbird, using the new wood paper and a portrait orientation.
When you pull the copper ribbon down, he flutters into the flowers for some sweet nectar!
I really enjoyed the way this turned out. Those leaves are included in the stamps and even have dies! Stampin Up thought of everything - including the flower centers!

Here's another hummingbird card that doesn't make use of the movement feature, but is still cute. The grate behind gives a lot of visual interest as a still backdrop behind the bird. 


I was glad to see a "regular" stamp of the hummingbird included, complete with a die to cut it out. I simply stamped the leaves all over the background.

Next I wanted to see if I could use another other images to create the movement, besides the included stamps. I realized the Sweet and Sassy Hearts were perfect since there are two shapes of hearts that are very similar but slightly different, so the movement effect can happen.


I used the dies to create a mask of each heart shape in the same size, then placed a mask over the top which I had cut with the grate. I sponged over it in Real Red, then moved the grate down and sponged in Melon Mambo. I ended up with a horizontally-striped heart that "beats" when you move it behind the grate! Notice I also extended the grate image.

I liked that experiment so I decided to try making a REALLY big grate. 

The much larger heart fit behind this grate, and I even stamped on the grate (with some scratch paper behind so I only got ink on the grate itself) This one can be pulled up or down, all the way out of the pocket so that a message can be written on the back.


So that was a success.... what else could be used to "move" behind that grate? My experience with the heart helped me understand the concept behind the optical illusion, and I was able to re-create it with the new Delightful Daisy stamp.

 Since this is not a solid-image stamp, but rather an outline stamp, I knew I couldn't really sponge it or create the barred lines like the butterfly or hummingbird. My workaround was to stamp the daisy on two different pieces of whisper white, at offset angles so they could be layered. Then I ran one of them through the Big Shot with the grate die. When I layered it on top of the intact stamped image, it effectively made these images lined correctly.

Now when you pull the tag, the daisy "rolls" and you reveal a hidden sentiment. I simply cut a slit in the card front and fed through the end of the white cardstock that I had punched with the Tag Topper.

One last design was using a die-cut grate to make a mask. Stamping a solid-image stamp over the mask removed stripes of ink, then they could be stamped onto my project. Here's a birthday card using my husband's initials and a balloon bouquet!


I absolutely loved the effect of the large letters with the stripes! The stamps themselves have a faded "weathered" look, so mixing that with the stripes adds a very "shabby chic" kind of look.

All of these cards are my own original designs - I hope you like them! I realize some of these are very complex and really need a tutorial and better images. Please check back soon, after I have a little time to make a how-to video!

Happy creating!
Your demonstrator,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment