October 16, 2015

Perpetual Birthday Calendar

Lately I've been working on a project that has been a long time coming - my Perpetual Birthday Calendar. I've needed one for so long, and as I have come to some realizations recently and resolved to give more gifts, I decided this useful tool could help me with that.




Part of the reason I had put it off for so long is because I honestly wasn't crazy about the look of the kit as designed.  Silly me - since when do I follow the kit instructions??  I always make my own monstrosity after seeing fabulous ideas on Pinterest, and this time was no different.

Knowing myself, I knew I would never put this thing out (in a place where it wouldn't be destroyed by my children) and actually take the time to change out the pages each month. So I knew before it even arrived on my doorstep that I would bind it into a book.


 




I used the Zutter Bind It All and 1 1/4 inch Owire from Amazon. To sturdy up this project for "perpetual" use, I affixed each calendar page to some thin chipboard - the one that comes in every pack of DSP. It's white and 12x12, perfect for this project! I used some retired DSP called Birthday Bash to cover the front and back. I absolutely fell in love with this paper and I've been saving it for a special project like this one. I like to keep my favorite papers for scrapbooks and other projects where I'll get to look at it over and over again!

Here is each month's page the way I made them. (I designed January, June, and July myself - the others are direct copies of things I liked or combinations of different ideas I saw.)


















I also used the Birthday Bash to make pockets on the facing page of each month to hold a card or small gift.


The pages from the kit are designed to be stacked and clipped to a backboard. I used the backboard as my front book cover. I may use the clip to keep the book closed neatly, or save it to use on another project like all the other remaining goodies from the box! Once bound, the completed calendar no longer fit into the box it came in, but of course that box is cute itself, and perfect to hold a set of all-occasion cards I could give as a gift!


I had A LOT left over, including lots of superfine gold glitter which I'm trying to decide what to do with...



I'm sort of an organization freak, and I've always fantasized about keeping a log of recurring purchases and tasks, so I can perfect my routine, and perhaps keep the cash to complete my project in a pocket on the facing page. Can you say Christmas Planner?? And when I get more of these kits, I'll get to use some of the other fabulous ideas that I didn't get to fit in this book.



Imagine creating a kit like this for yourself! Save some money and come to the workshop I offer, where all you purchase is the $16 kit itself, and you can use my stamps, ink, and other supplies to complete your calendar! Great way to get it done quickly and with minimal "damage" to the pocketbook!

Here are all the Stampin' Up supplies I used:

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

Happy creating!
Your demonstrator,
Rachel
www.scrappyz.stampinup.net

No comments:

Post a Comment