February 04, 2018

Sharing My Good News

I have an awesome announcement - I'm expecting our third child this May! The time is fast approaching and I am really getting excited!

Since this is my third, the thrill has naturally been lower in general among our family and friends than with our first. This was also a very unexpected blessing for us, and I had actually just given up and given away most of our baby things! But the Good Lord has wonderful plans always in store.

To spice things up a little, I decided to find out early which gender to expect and do a gender reveal party for our other children and our parents. We had saved this information until birth with our other two children so this was a new and exciting experience!

After the sonogram, the first step was the invitation, so I set to work using some craft supplies I have. I thought of party themes and how no one seems to just have a "baby" theme anymore, so I decided to do just that. After all, that's exactly what we're celebrating! Baby!

I browsed Pinterest and other sources but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Here's what I came up with in the end, borrowing the sentiment idea from my friend Jessica. I used my printer to get the sentiment placed correctly on Stampin Up thick whisper white card stock.


 I used the retired Something For Baby set with the retired You Move Me set to create an interactive card. As the recipient moved the card, the ducky would spin and slide back and forth between blue and pink onesies.



The colors I used were Blushing Bride, Marina Mist, and Crushed Curry.

 I made the invitations in a post card style since they were already fat with the spinner feature. The back side was also printed on my computer. 


I'll be honest - I was really proud of these invitations and thought they were just too cute. Now it was on to decorations!

I was pretty limited on time and very limited on funds, so mostly it was crepe paper! But I did create a beautiful banner, using Dazzling Diamonds glimmer paper and designer paper from Bundle of Love as well as Sweet Soiree. I die cut them using Stampin Up thinlits Sweet and Sassy, as well as Layering Ovals and some retired Banner dies. The banner pieces themselves were cut from Kraft cardstock for contrast.


I used the Letters For You stamps and dies to layer letters for a 3D effect. I used the silver metallic ribbon from Sale-a-bration 2017 to string the banner up. I had some tiny clothespins left over from years ago that were the perfect addition, although the banners were stapled to the ribbon for durability.

Online I saw the cute idea to create a "ballot box" from an empty container of diaper wipes and invite guests to cat their prediction vote using pink and blue paint cards. I modified the container by removing the sticker from the top and also covering the front with Whisper White cardstock and adding die cut pink and blue onesies. Inside the pop-up lid I used Brushwork Alphabet to stamp "Vote Here" in black ink. It was a fun addition to the party!


Another thing I modified was a snack/decoration for the table - mini Hershey bars with "he" and "she" colored in selectively. I used my Stampin Blends alcohol markers to do this so the color stayed put even on the plasticy surface of the wrapper.


The rest of the decorations were store-bought, as they were mostly food, and I was out of time.



My mother made some cream cheese jello molds and some gluten free pink heart cookies.

 The punch was made of blue Fanta with strawberry ice cream - the colors were cute but the strawberry chunks were kinda yucky looking once the ice cream melted. 
 My mother-in-law made some rice crispy treats with pink and blue icing.
 I made some cake push up pops by layering gluten free yellow cake with marshmallow icing, with pink or blue Sixlets in the middle and sprinkles on top. I iced the leftover cake like tiny cupcakes.


Oh! And in case you were curious... I'm having a boy! We revealed this to our guests by sealing blue helium balloons in a big box and having our children open it up. It was so exciting! This white bow had sealed the box but it also made a great hair accessory! 


Well, there's my wonderful news and the great celebration we had! Thanks for sharing it with me. I hope you liked my ideas and remember to use your craft supplies next time you're having a get-together!

Happy creating!
Your demonstrator,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment